Missy Macabre - Fire Performer, Female Fakir, and Daredevil Showgirl

Sunday 2 January 2011

Requiem - Bath of Blood

A few months ago I created a performance for Torture Garden's annual Halloween Ball - Based on the notorious regal murderess, Countess Elizabeth Báthory. I bathe in a bath of blood, and eat fire.
Báthory is legendary for using the blood of slain virgins to bathe in, she believed that it would retain her diminishing beauty. There's more information about her here.


I really enjoyed combining Catholic imagery, legend and modern music/performance together to create this show, I've titled it Requiem because I thought it quite appropriate:

"A 
Requiem or Requiem Mass, is also known as Mass for the dead (Latin: Missa pro defunctis) or Mass of the dead (Latin: Missa defunctorum), is Mass celebrated for the repose of the soul or souls of one or more deceased persons, using a particular formula of the Roman Missal. It is frequently, but not necessarily, celebrated in the context of a funeral."


Here's the video from NYE performance of 'Requiem' at Salon Rouge Cambridge: 




Unfortunately I wasn't able to use blood for this particular performance, as the venue wouldn't allow it. (I think that they were worried about the stage upholstery) 
Water was used instead - I hope the performance still is impactual as intended.



No comments:

Post a Comment